December 7, 2015
1. Sketch in dimensions generally but decisively. No eyelashes or nostrils yet!
2. Block in lights and shadows. This is the time for bold decisions!
3. Knit together - add to lights. Add to shadows.
Step 1. Step 2....
November 10, 2015
We're going back! The food and wine are so delicious, the architecture is just stunning, the sunshine is glorious. . . Michelangelo himself chose to live in the town where we stay.
Whether you're an artist or just want to spend 12 days exploring Tuscany, this 12-day w...
This weekend I'm headed to Charleston, SC, for "Inspirational Forms," the new show at Principle Gallery, which opens Friday, November 6, 2015. The gallery is located on Meeting Street.
October 5, 2015
The hard part isn't the details - it's getting it all in the right place.
1. Position eye sockets using straight lines and angles.
2. Block in lights and shadows.
September 16, 2015
Hands are tough. It's easy to make them either too big, too small, or to make the fingers look like they're dislocated.
1. Map out the proportions using straight lines and angles. The three angles highlighted (in the first image) will really help position the hand accu...
How To Paint Portraits
Tuscany Workshop, June 2016
Opening at Principle Gallery, SC
How To Paint Eyes
How To Paint A Hand